Maintaining Your Oral Health During & After Treatment
At Dr. Gordon Niles Orthodontics, we provide our patients with high-quality orthodontic care so they can get a beautiful smile that lasts a lifetime. Dr. Niles and his experienced team use state-of-the-art technology to design customized treatment plans to match your needs and preferences. Whether you have traditional metal braces or Invisalign, how you care for your teeth outside the office is a critical aspect of success in your treatment. Below, you’ll find some useful techniques and appliances to help keep your teeth and mouth as clean as possible during and after orthodontic treatment.
Brushing & Flossing
When it comes to brushing your teeth you should continue your usual routine of brushing at least twice a day, for at least two minutes. With braces, we recommend doing it more often, usually after meals to remove excess food debris. Be sure to clean the areas between wires and teeth, as well as the entire area around your teeth.
To keep your teeth healthy, you also need to floss once per day. Brushing your teeth isn’t enough to remove all the excess debris, as food particles can get lodged into hard-to-reach parts of your teeth that your brush cannot reach. Because flossing is often neglected by patients, which could increase orthodontic treatment time, we’ve provided proper instructions below:
- Break off about 18-inches of floss and wrap it around your middle fingers, while holding the floss between your thumbs and forefingers.
- Guide the floss between your teeth, moving it gently in a “C” shape and working it in an up and down motion to clean the tooth.
- Repeat the process between each of your teeth, including the back molars.
Special Brushing Tools
If you’re having trouble cleaning the areas between your brackets and wires, there are tools that can help!
- Interdental Toothbrush - This is a small brush that can be used to clean places a normal toothbrush wouldn’t reach. It’s also great for cleaning spaces under wires and around braces’ rubber bands and brackets.
- Water Pick - This device shoots a pressurized stream of water to help dislodge particles that get trapped between teeth. Although it’s a quick and convenient method, it shouldn’t be used as a replacement for regular brushing and flossing.
Finally, you can use a mouthwash to wrap up your oral hygiene routine. These are great for giving you long-lasting fresh breath.
H2: Contact Your Howell Orthodontist Today
If you have any questions about oral hygiene, or would like to get started on orthodontic treatment, we’re ready to help. Contact our office at (810) 227-1950 to speak to one of our dedicated staff members. Our office is conveniently located in Brighton, MI but we also service patients in Howell, Pinckney and other surrounding areas. We look forward to meeting you and your family soon!